Well recently, a friend of mine and I were discussing about factors that made people popular. Was it their looks, their money, their celebrity connections, their personality or just some publicity – good or bad? I finally decided to go with the one factor that I think is unique to every one – being yourself. And here is my pick of top 3 men who have remained themselves but yet managed to become popular.
1. DR.ABDUL KALAM
- He did not get a makeover when he became the President of India.
- He gave children access to the Parliament.
- The masses of India felt proud to look up to an intelligent yet unassuming man.
- He continued being a teacher – making crowds repeat important points after him – and they loved him for it.
- He moved away from the spotlight gracefully and is still the first person who comes to the common Man’s mind when talking about the previous or next President of India.
2. SHERLOCK HOLMES – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
The brilliant man from Baker Street, with his ability to solve cases based on attention to detail – did take the world by storm. Moody, hardly social ,choosy, and well behaved – Holmes does not make you feel like he is a Know-it-all but rather earns your respect and admiration. Treating his faithful friend Watson with patience and his Landlady Mrs.Hudson with respect – I think Sherlock Holmes might be one of the few achievers in his field with a perfect work-life balance. Eccentric, erratic, and eclectic – Holmes proved that many a time that, behind his steely cold countenance there was indeed a warm heart with a sense of justice.
3. SHELDON COOPER – Big Bang Theory
Idiosyncratic Sheldon. Rigidly logical. Socially awkard. Speaks with a lisp. Cannot drive a car. Phobic about his own security.Has a ‘logical’ sense of humor. Is not willing to share his ‘seat’. Mule-like stubbornness. Superiority Complex. Suffers from OCD. Star Trek crazy. Wears T-shirts with superhero logos. Hangs out at Comic book stores. Treats you with disdain if not a “Doctor (PhD)”. Treats you with disdain if not a physicist. Treats your with disdain if you do not adhere to “his” routine. A sore loser.
You actually want to kill him. But miss him if he is not around. Sheldon is loved.
I guess it can be safely said that Sheldon Cooper may be the only nerd / geek who can command this kind of popularity all around the world.
So there it is guys – 3 people who continue to be themselves and continue to be popular. Hats off to them 🙂